Going Plastic Free Irl to launch reverse vending machine initiative at Dunnes Stores, Naas on 11/03/22
Going Plastic Free Irl (GPF) which is based in Naas is pleased to announce the launch of its reverse vending machine initiative at Dunnes Stores, Naas tomorrow (Friday) 11th March 2022 at 11.00am.
It will the first reverse vending machine in County Kildare and the modern dual purpose machine accepts both plastic bottles and aluminium cans. A 10 cent vouchers which can be spent in the local Dunnes Stores is given for each individual can or plastic bottle deposited in the machine.
First reverse vending machine in County Kildare
Founder and Chairperson of GPF, Senator Vincent P. Martin said, “this is the latest in a number of projects undertaken by our local GPF community group. He added that the voucher incentive scheme being generously sponsored by Dunnes Stores demonstrates a commitment on the part of this local store to the local community and the environment’.
Excellent community initiative
Naas Dunnes Stores Manager, Padraic Carney said, “he was delighted for the local Dunnes Stores to a partner in this excellent community initiative.”
Senator Martin singled out the commitment of each and every member of the Naas Municipal District for leading the way by supporting the first project of this type for the county and added that ‘it would not have been possible without the vision and ambition of the Council in supporting our application for grant aid. When I became a Senator, local Green Party Councillor Colm Kenny replaced me serving on the Council and I would like to thank him for keeping the momentum going. I hope this initiative can complement the brilliant work being done by Naas Tidy Towns which makes us all so proud.
Red-letter day for Naas
Mayor of Naas MD, Cllr. Seamie Moore said, “it Is a red-letter day for Naas and he was honoured to preside at the opening ceremony on behalf of the elected members of Naas MD and community of the Naas.”
Minister of State with special responsibility for the circular economy, Ossian Smyth T.D. is scheduled on Friday, 25th March 2022 to visit this local recycling facility and fulfil a number of constituency commitments in that day.
Senator Martin concluded by acknowledging the dedicated voluntary efforts of all on the local Going Plastic Free volunteers saying, ‘I have received a number of inquiries about the varied work GPF does including this initiative and we will consider hosting a public information webinar in response to volume of queries received”.
About Going Plastic Free Movement (GPF)
- Going Plastic Free Movement (GPF) was founded in 2019 with the aim of reducing single-use plastics in the community.
- GPF has engaged with several organisations throughout Kildare to promote the reduction of single-use plastics. We have also awarded commendations to several organisations who we feel are committed to reducing unnecessary plastic waste.
- In addition, we have liaised with several retailers in Naas over the last few years with the aim of launching a Reverse Vending Machine (RVM) in the town.
- We have now teamed up with Dunnes Stores to launch the RVM on their premises in Naas.
- The RVM will accept both plastic bottles and aluminium cans in return for a voucher which can be exchanged in Dunnes Stores, Naas (the vouchers are being funded 100% by Dunnes).
- The RVM rental and maintenance is being funded through grant aid from Naas MD in the form of unused property tax.
For more information please contact Senator Vincent P. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org